Friday, September 10, 2010

Camp

Camp was sooooooo much fun! We took 70 kids - Year 3 & 4 (aged 8-10) on a 1 night camp.We spent 2 days flat-out with back-to-back activites of fun! There were so many highlights...

The giant swing was a favourite for most of the kids. You get pulled up 18 metres into the air and then briefly free-fall before the swinging action starts. It was so cool to watch kids overcome fears (and interesting to see the 'tough kids' crumble as the rope took them higher). Even though I've done this twice before, the initial drop still freaks me out! It was funny though, as I swung back and forwards the things kids yelled out, my favourite was "Miss F, can you take us back to the cabin now?" (and she was fully serious)...um no, I'm sort of busy at the moment... maybe in a few minutes.

Our impromtu Cabin I Sock Bowling Championship was a big hit too. I love that little kids are willing to go along with crazy wet-weather ideas I have, to fill in the half an hour before dinner. Within two minutes we had 14 competitors armed with socks, 2 judges, a shampoo bottle target and prizes for the winner. The girls thought it was hilarious and made up great back stories of how they got into the sport and which country they were representing.

There are way too many other things I could write about. We canoed, climbed, archered (um...), rode, ate (& ate & ate & ate), swung, jumped, minute-to-win-it-ed (um the past tense of minute to win it - the tv show...) and laughed alot.

Apart from being kept up till 2am by a sobbing, homesick girl, the whole 2 days were fantastic! It was one of those life moments where my heart felt full.

2 comments:

My name is Cait said...

Sounds like heaps of fun! Oh I want to go on school camp ... maybe I can go as 'special' guest next time :)

Kaye said...

Next year we're sleeping over at the zoo!
I love getting to do these fun things as a grown-up.
I'm sure no-one would notice if you came Caitlin. you'd just blend in with my crazy kids! hehehe. Definitely worth the trip from Adelaide! :)