Thursday, September 16, 2010

The sun is a mass of incandescent gas (but apparently not really)

Today I started teaching my kids this song for a performance we're doing next term...
It's called "why does the sun shine?" & is lots of fun! (you should be able to watch it by clicking on the picture)
Of course it was met with groans and "why can't we do Katy Perry or Lady Gaga instead?" (oh it worries me so much that this is what my 9 year old girls are watching and listening to!) but by the end of the day they were so proud of themselves for mastering the words "incandescent" & "gigantic nuclear furnace" & were begging "just one more time!!!" hehehe I love my job!

Of course, since making this song it's apparently been proven that the sun is not gas, but plasma & 'they might be giants' have created a newer song correcting this... but it's just not catchy like the original. So in my class, the sun is a mass of incandescent gas, high school science teachers can fix that one day (by then it might not be plasma anymore anyway...)!

No comments: